Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The World Cup

I just received a video tape of the Super Bowl in the mail. Of course, I know who won, but that’s not the point. It’s the whole Super Bowl experience. It’s an American pastime and unfortunately one that we pretty much miss out on here. Besides an excuse to party, part of the fun is the entertaining commercials. I haven’t watched it yet, so I don’t know if they were any good this year.

Here in Europe this summer, I had the opportunity to experience a WORLDWIDE sports event, the World Cup (Soccer aka football in the UK and “Fussball” in Germany). I feel very fortunate that we happened to be living here during this time, when Germany was hosting the games. I think it only happens every 4 years. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I am not a huge sports fan, but you could not help but caught up in the events. Everyday life revolved around these games. It was amazing. Every town, from the smallest to the largest, rallied together to experience this. Tents and large screens were set up in city centers, market squares, firehouses, wherever large crowds could meet (of course food and beverages were available as well :) and hundreds to thousands of people gathered to watch. Downtown Stuttgart was a madhouse (Stuttgart is the largest urban city closest to me; it houses an airport and a main train station). A few hours before each game was aired, it would start to get crowded with fans, especially if Germany was playing. People wore their countries’ colors and some wore crazy costumes and everyone was waving a flag. There was hardly any traffic because everyone was somewhere watching the games. All was quiet except for the roar of the crowds or TV’s blaring in everyone’s house.

People planned their lives around these games. Huge corporations shut down when Germany was playing for 3rd place (Daimler Chrysler). We’re talking about letting 30,000 people stay home for the day. It was insane. Since the games were being played in Germany, I think it brought the country some much needed pride. It was nice to see just about everyone displaying a German flag on their car or out of their house or apartment window. I felt pride for them and it gave us an opportunity to feel like we were part of the community. Of course we routed for Germany (after USA was out of the running) and it gave us a little something more in common; something we could relate to with our host country.

I was sad when it was over. It was a very exciting time. I’ve never experienced something so large scale like that; something so passionate. Yes, the Super Bowl can be just as exciting on a national level, but it is not something the whole world cares about. I do get homesick during the Super Bowl though. I miss the commradery and the parties and having nachos and beer!

No comments: