Monday, February 19, 2007

"Rose Monday"

Rose Monday is another Fasching holiday. If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d research it and find out the history, but all I know is that it’s part of the whole Fasching celebration. I wrote in a previous blog entry that Fasching is like Mardi Gras on steroids, in which there are parades and parties from late January to March. I chose not to indulge in the Fasching activities this year, my liver couldn’t take it. Did it all two years in a row; that was enough, although I love a good parade. I ran smack dab into one today. Actually, it had just ended in a town that I was driving through. I didn’t know it was happening today then I hit the traffic. It wasn’t too bad though. It so happened that today is an American holiday as well.

I should have known better since I heard drumming sounds this morning from the streets outside my apartment. I looked out my third floor window to see about 15 4 to5 year- old cowboys, ballerinas and a Hawaiian girl parading down the street banging on drums and shaking bells and other noise makers. Their teachers were dressed up too. It was quite cute. It was another one of those “you don’t see that everyday” moments. I’ve had quite a few of those here.

Further down the street I saw a couple of teenagers dressed up in their “Hexen” costumes. Again, “Hexe” is witch and there’s ton’s of these Hexen clubs all over Germany. Basically, they participate in parades by generally harassing the crowd by being noisy, throwing confetti, trying to scare people, marking them with ink, etc. It’s all great fun. Nothing satanic about it. Each group has their own distinct costume and wooden mask. Some to the masks are scary looking and some are comical. Some are downright creepy. Guggamusik groups participate in the parades too. That’s my favorite. They’re like party-marching bands. They too have their own unique costumes and masks. My favorite group, Bruggaklopfer-Neuhausen, changed their costumes last year. Originally they were cave-man looking furry costumes, now they’re dressed like matadors and the women wear Spanish type dresses. Really cool and very expensive, especially the masks. Everything is hand made. Their website is
www.bruggklopfer.de. Check it out. If you click on “Bruggisound” you can hear a few of their songs. There’s one that you’ll recognize. It seems like so much fun to be involved in something like that. A lot of travel and partying involved. I’m sure they practice quite a bit too. They’re really good. I am an admitted groupie :) and have seen them perform on several occasions. I even hired them to entertain at my employee Holiday party for two years. It’s a big one; several hundred people attend and most of them have never heard nor seen this “Guggamusik”. The cameras were flashing. There was other entertainment as well.

We have been fortunate to have integrated quite well with the locals and so have been exposed to many cultural scenes and events that we probably wouldn’t have if we avoided meeting people and getting involved. It has a much more fun and enlightening experience because of this. It amazes me that there are some people who either live on the base and don’t venture off that often or live off the base, like we do, but stay in or only socialize with other Americans. I just don’t get it. Make the most of your situation for God’s sake! And, as the immortal words in a song by the band “Incubus” say, “Never let life pass you by”. Amen to that.

No comments: