Thursday, February 22, 2007

Transportation

I thought I already wrote about this topic, but I guess not. I must have THOUGHT about writing about it. This is what happens when you get old.

The transportation here in Germany is something you notice immediately; namely the different modes of transportation.

First and foremost, you notice the size of the cars. Since space is such a factor here, there is not a centimeter to spare. Parking spots are just big enough for your car to squeeze into and no more, especially if you’re driving a bigger American car. My husband drives a Dodge Ram which barely fits down the street, never mind in your average European parking spot. It was quite the novelty in our little town when we first arrived here, especially when I drove it on occasion. I had to drive it when a friend and I were going to see the musical “Mama Mia” and had to park with the buses! It wasn’t going to fit in the parking garage. God forbid if you’re claustrophobic and you park in a “parkhaus”. I’m not claustrophobic, but often feel that way driving in one of those to park. You can barely squeeze in and out.

Most cars here are small; often tiny and I think, quite humorous. I’ve seen transportation here that I have never seen before in my life. East German cars, the Trabant or “Trabi’s are hysterical. Their frames are actually wood and they’re tiny. They remind me of ducks. Smart cars are everywhere. You can fit two of them, one behind the other, in one parking spot. Hopefully if you opt to do this, you know the person you’re sharing your spot with. I know they were all the rage in the States last year and people were paying crazy prices for them. They’re not cheap here either, about 30,000 Euro. I don’t get it. Mini Coopers are plentiful here too; another tiny car, not much bigger than a “pregnant roller-skate”, as my father would say. Certain cars that are unable to at least drive the minimum autobahn speed limit are forbidden on the autobahn. If you can’t get out of the way, you’d better stay off the road.

You will see stuff on the road that amazes you. I laughed hysterically when I saw a four wheeler ATV on the highway. It wasn’t the autobahn, but similar, something like Route 32. It just surprised me that this was perfectly legal. Motorcycles are very popular here as well as scooters. The scooters are often outfitted with what looks like to me, armor. Picture a shield with a roof attached; very funny. And the sound they make; reminds me of a time in Martha’s Vineyard….I’ve seen 3 wheeled trucks, itty-bitty ones, more like a scooter with a truck bed. These vehicles don’t go very fast but they are legal. They drive to the side of the road so you just have to pass them. Large and small tractors are always driving down the road often pulling a trailer of some sort and horse and carriages are common as well. That really blew my mind the first time I saw it. I still run to the window to look if I hear them. It’s just so neat. They don’t usually drive on main roads, but it’s normal to see them driving through town.

Perhaps the most noticeable thing about the transportation here is the beautiful cars and the absence of junkers. OMG! Beautiful, new Mercedes Benz’s, BMW’s, VW’s, Alfa Romeo’s, Porsche’s, and Audi’s are everywhere. Keep in mind that driving these higher end vehicles here are like driving a Ford or Chevy in the states.
I saw a Porsche minivan for the very first time here. They’re actually fairly common. Very rarely do you see a clunker or even older car, unless it’s a classic. Why? The German motor vehicle requirements are much stricter. No rust or rot here, no sir! Another reason may be that older cars are quickly purchased by Eastern European countries; Poland, Hungary, Ukraine, etc. and sold there. It’s what they can generally afford, I guess. We’re actually driving our second BMW. I’m sure by German standards it’s considered a “clunker”. It’s a 1994, but in very good condition. It passed inspection and the body looks newer than it is. Hey, why not? I’ll never own one back home.

No comments: