Thursday, February 1, 2007

"Outta sight, Outta mind"........Part 1

A few things came to mind when this title popped into my head yesterday. I'll talk about the first today.

I work on a military base in Stuttgart, Germany and was just leaving work when I drove around the corner to exit the exit gate when I noticed that the cars in front of me were pulling over and stopping. I didn't understand why or what was going on. There wasn't an ambulance or firetruck zooming up from the rear. My radio was on, but I could hear the faint sound of trumpets.

Every day at 5:00 pm, the American flag is lowered. During this time, two songs are played, the first is called "To the Colors" to which people are to stop and stand at attention. The second song is "Retreat" and at this time those standing at attention in uniform or not, salute. A passenger in the car behind me got out of his car and was saluting. In the 2+ years that I've lived here in Germany, this is the first time I happened to be in the right place at the right time to witness this. For some reason it seemed more profound to see people stop driving and get out of their cars to do this. I've been walking on base when the lowering of the flag occurred and have seen people stop where they were and stand at attention saluting the flag, but never driving in a car. It really hit home to me.

Even we who are immersed in the military culture on a daily basis sometimes experience the "Outta sight, outta mind" phenomenon. It's moments like yesterday evening that bring it all back and remind us of our American pride and of why we're there doing what we're doing, and for whom we're doing it for. Those who make sacrifices everyday can still forget because we're so involved in our day to day lives. We too are far removed at times from the everyday horror that others face, and at other times, we are much too close. I am filled with pride to make my little contribution to our country. Thank you to my husband Jim for all that you do and to the thousands of others who sacrifice to make a difference. And to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice...

It also reminded me how much I've changed. I'm simply a different person since I've been living here. I am changed and have been enlightened. I realized this for the first time when I went back home to CT after having lived here for about a year and endured all that I have. It hit me, that the mindset is, mine included, if it's not in your face, it doesn't directly affect you, it affects someone else. Life is safer that way, less intrusive, less disturbing. I didn't realize this until I stepped out of the box and experienced another life. It hit home that there's a whole other world out there, not just the one I have lived in, far from the maddening crowd. I really had an epiphany. I was blown away. I still feel this way. I have been opened up, exposed and humbled.


God Bless America.

No comments: