Tuesday, March 13, 2007

The Spring Bazaar

There's big happenings this weekend on the base that I work on. It’s the annual Spring Bazaar. We look forward to this every year. It’s not your ordinary bazaar. They started setting up tents last week and blocking parking lots. That’s the bad part. Parking is horrendous on base, so any loss of space makes it worse, although the situation has improved since they moved most of the stores to the new mall on the base my husband works on, so a few more parking lots are available.

This bazaar features vendors from all over Europe. It’s our opportunity to buy great stuff without having to actually travel to these countries. Pottery from Poland, Christmas ornaments, decorations and knick knacks from Russia, scarves, wraps, purses and rugs from Turkey, pottery, porcelain and glass bead jewelry from Italy, jewelry from various countries, leather from Italy, steins, linens, pewter (steins, Schnapps shot glasses, wine decanters, figurines, etc.) and various other stuff from Germany, sweaters and clogs from Norway, crystal from the Czech Republic, chocolate and beer from Belgium, Celtic stuff from Ireland and Scotland, all kinds of jewelry from everywhere….I could go on and on. Local handmade things are sold as well and food will be sold to raise money for the local community groups.

And then there’s the antiques and antique furniture... There’s a vendor from the UK that comes every year and sells benches, tables, armoires, bars, you name it. A good friend of mine has spent THOUSANDS with these people over the past two years. Not me. I’m pretty frugal, although I informed my husband that I will be dropping money this year. It’s one of those situations where if you see it and like it, you’d better buy it or it’ll be gone and you’ll regret it. Again, I’m frugal so I’ve had a lot of regret during this thing. Not this year. :)

Last year, I did buy an antique miniature cast iron stove, complete with little pots and pans. Not miniature like doll-house miniature, but about a foot long. It’s pretty neat. It caught my eye and I did go back to it a few times and then just bought it. I am not impulsive and I usually agonize over purchases (except when it comes to clothing and inexpensive shoes). Another good friend of mine bought a beautiful, huge dining room table, chairs and coffee table from Belgium. The vendor promised delivery in two weeks, however, a few months later after many phone calls, he finally showed up with a truck and no helper. You have to understand, moving is nightmarish here because halls, stairways and doorways are narrow. Plus this thing was huge and heavy and after spending all that money, I don’t think my friend expected to have to carry the thing too. They ended up having to take in it through the back entrance of his house, which was no small feat considering the back yard is fenced in. I’m sure there was a flurry of unmentionable words expressed.

The bazaar starts Friday and ends on Sunday. The friend that bought furniture from the UK over the past two years told me she took Friday off work to attend this. It sounds like she plans on continuing her prior spending habits. I’d better not go with her.

No comments: