Sunday, March 11, 2007

Classic Car show

I went to a classic car show yesterday. Well, it was more than that I guess. It was a show, but also like a swap meet. You could also sell your classic car there, buy parts, artwork, books, clothing, etc. and in typical German fashion, you could buy food like crepes, wurst, schnitzel, pretzels and any kind of beverage you can think of like beer, wine, coffee, etc. It was pretty cool. Many car clubs were represented there and each had their own “bier garten” set up in their designated areas. Some were pretty impressive with slip covered chairs and centerpieces. Gotta love this country. They do things right sometimes.

It was a pretty nostalgic day, considering the number of classic American vehicles that I saw. I saw some beautiful Mustangs (my favorite car), Caprice’s, Ford pick ups, and be still my heart, a 1977 Lincoln Continental. It was huge. It’s so cool to see old American cars over here. Many countries were represented though. There were old French cars, Italian, English and of course German. Old Mercedes are beautiful and expensive. I saw makes and models of cars that I have never heard of or seen before.

The show was held in this huge conference center on the outskirts of downtown Stuttgart. This place had at least 15 big halls each featuring something different. One hall was for vendors selling new stuff like accessories and gadgets; another was for vendors selling parts, books, clothes, posters, whatever. Another hall featured old buses and campers, fire trucks, work vehicles, anything you could think of. Other halls featured specific makes of vehicles, another was for motorcycles; you get the idea. You could easily spend all day there if you’re into that sort of thing. I didn’t linger in any certain area; I breezed from room to room, just soaking it in as I passed by. I stopped at a few areas to get a better look, but not too often. I went kind of late in the day, so it wasn’t too crowded which was nice. I believe I’ve mentioned how crowds in Germany are not the greatest thing to experience.

I thought about going to this all week, but didn’t really commit to going until late in the day on Saturday. I ended up going alone because I didn’t make plans to go with someone. I figured I’d decide first if I was definitely going, then find someone to go with. It didn’t work out that way. My husband was at soccer game that day so he couldn’t go, so I called a couple of friends last minute but couldn’t get a hold of them. It serves me right because it sometimes irks me when people call last minute to do things. I am pretty flexible and spontaneous and don’t usually mind, however, certain friends just don’t believe in making plans ahead of time. Again, this is usually fine with me except when it happens all the time with the same people. I guess I’m getting impatient in my old age.

I really didn’t mind going alone because I knew I wouldn’t want to stay that long and I might have stayed longer if I was with other people; you know, lingering where they linger. That makes me sound like a pain, doesn’t it? Hey, the older you get, the pickier you’re allowed to be. That’s my thinking anyway. I’ll be 40 in August (gasp!) so I’m trying to talk myself into a positive outlook on aging!

Anyway, I’m glad I went. I didn’t want to regret not going and it was neat to see something new. There’s always something going on here, that’s one of the benefits of living in this area. Speaking of that, it’s getting to be that time of the year again, time for the Fruelingsfest, the Spring Stuttgart Beer Fest held April 21- May 13. It’s the second largest beer fest in Germany behind the Oktoberfest in Munich. Prosit! Cheers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.