Saturday, March 17, 2007

The Spring Bazaar-Part 2

I’m still frugal. I went to the Spring Bazaar twice so far and still haven’t bought anything. What the heck, tomorrow is the last day, I might as well go then too. It was huge and was had everything that I expected, but nothing that I was willing to part my hard earned money for. Well, that’s not exactly the truth, there were many things I could have bought, but nothing that jumped out and said “Buy me!” and nothing that I saw that I absolutely had to have. Usually those things are way out of my price range.

There was some beautiful antique furniture from the UK if I wanted to spend a few thousand and if I had 15 foot ceilings. This stuff was huge; armoires, china cabinets, hall closets…nice, but again, I wasn’t willing to spend that much. I think a lot of it is really over priced. If you have the money to spend and didn’t plan on going to the UK to buy it, then I suppose it was worth it. There were lower priced end tables and other smaller antiques, but I just didn’t think they were worth the money and I just didn’t need them. I believe I mentioned that a good friend of mine has spent thousands at this bazaar over the years and I ran into her there on Friday. She bought a dining room table. I think she’s famous for this spending at the bazaar because as I was chatting with her, a colleague of hers walked by and asked where the table was that she bought. Word travels fast.

There was a woman in a booth selling Irish stuff that was probably making a killing since today is St. Patrick’s Day. Happy St. Patrick’s Day, by the way. I kind of miss that here too. They don’t really celebrate it here in Germany except in the Irish pubs where we Americans frequent. I remember my first St. Patrick’s Day here in Germany and was feeling out of sorts and depressed because I’ve always celebrated it back home. I was getting my hair done and my hair dresser happened to mention that there was a new Irish Pub that opened in Leinfelden, a town about 10 minutes from where I live. I was very happy to hear about that and drove straight to it after my appointment and had a Kilkenny beer and felt much better. It just so happens that I had a hair appointment this year too. No beer this year though. Tonight in downtown Stuttgart is the “Long night of the museums” and our friend Martin is doing the lights and sound at one of the museums so we decided to go downtown. We had a wonderful dinner at this restaurant called Zepplino's which is located by the main train station and then walked to the museum, which is in one of the palaces downtown. There had to have been at least 200 people in line, which is crazy since there’s about a dozen museums open all night tonight. Martin was busy running some sort of media show, but was going to meet us at the side entrance afterwards. We decided not to wait. Neither of us were in the mood for a mob scene. It would have been cool though. They had set up a disco in the museum. Cool but too crowded. We drove back to town and had yummy ice cream sundaes in the Italian restaurant down the street from our apartment. Just as good.

This is what I’m talking about, there’s always something going on here and we’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to be part of it. We’ve been part of it because friends that we’ve made here, like Martin, have exposed us to things that we might not have known about and because we like to keep somewhat busy and like to experience as much as we can, so we seek these things out.


Tomorrow maybe I will try one more time to seek out something to spend my money on.

No comments: