Friday, May 11, 2007

The Pedicure

Women are so funny. I can see all you guys nodding in unison to that comment. I’m in the final stretch of my pregnancy and I decided that since I can no longer reach my toes, I would treat myself to a pedicure. I might be screaming in pain in a few days, but maybe if I focus on how nice my toes look, perhaps I’ll feel better. That’s the fantasy anyway.

A new nail salon is now open in the new mall at the base, so I made an appointment yesterday. It was wonderful. I sat in this massage chair while my feet soaked in this tub with jets and nice smelling salts. Dear God, if you do anything in this life, get a pedicure just once. You’ll wonder why you didn’t do it every week. Well, after my feet were massaged, sloughed, poked and painted and then were drying, a couple of ladies walked in together for their appointments. I sat across from them waiting for my newly painted red toenails to dry. Their ritual in the massage chairs was just starting.

For those of you who don’t know, a big baby belly is such a conversation magnet for complete strangers. You now have something in common with most of the female population and they hold no bones in telling you about it. The conversation that proceeded was one of great detail and advice. You see, women have no hang ups about sharing the most intimate details about the most personal and traumatizing experience of their lives with other women, whether they know them or not, when it comes to the birthing process. Details about labor and birth were shared…what happens to your body, what comes out of your body, what goes in, what’s massaged, etc., etc. As I sat there and listened and shared, I was chuckling and feeling the love inside. Here was two women I’ve never met before in my life sharing details of their lives with me, for the purpose of perhaps easing my pain and fear. Just when, again, I wasn’t feeling so loved and was feeling disappointed in mankind for forgetting about me, these women were brought into my life, even just for a little while, but for a specific reason. Thank you God!

As it turned out, I didn’t wear sandals, so I had to wear the shoes I wore there. I had a bit more shopping to do, but checked the polish before I left, and although it seemed dry enough, my big toes were smudged. I bought a cheap pair of flip flops and went back to the shop and had them touched up. I feel much better now.

My husband comes home tomorrow, Saturday. Due date is Monday. Hang in there baby, literally!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember how overwhelming a newborn first (and second, and third) baby is , but I am interested to hear about your baby. I hope you will have a moment to blog again soon.

Anonymous said...

dying to hear what happened with the delivery and what you had!!!
Steph

Kim Rainville said...

Didn't realize you commented. Sorry. My link is no longer on Norwichbulletin.com, but the blog address is: http://krindeutschland.blogspot.com

I haven't updated yet, but will today. Thanks for your support :)