Sunday, April 8, 2007

Frohe Ostern- Happy Easter!

We just returned from a non-typical Easter dinner, American, German or otherwise. We went to my friend Meggie’s house and grilled T-bone steaks, burgers and pork cutlets. Meggie is from Kenya and her daughter in law and granddaughter are visiting Germany from England this week. Meggie lives with her boyfriend Charly who is Czech. They’ve lived together for about 8 years now. We totally have international exposure, I tell you. It was a nice, low key, relaxing time. The weather was absolutely beautiful; I would guess 70 degrees Fahrenheit and not a cloud in the sky.

They live in a large apartment complex in our little town and have a decent size balcony, big enough to sit several people comfortably and grill. No big Weber gas grill though, we used a small electric grill. It did the trick. My husband, the grill meister, had the honors. We cooked the meat and the rest was provided. I’m ready for my own grill. We don’t have a balcony with this apartment and it makes me crazy. I’ve complained about this before, sorry.

Both Friday and Monday are holidays here. I’m not sure if they’re state holidays or national, but everyone here has Friday and Monday off. It was wonderful driving to work on Friday with no traffic. When I worked for the public school system and the City way back when, I’m pretty sure we didn’t work on Good Friday, but as a government employee here, its business as usual. Most of the military are free, but not all. It varies. I was able to leave work early on Friday, thanks to the generosity of my boss, which was nice enough. Mondays just come too quick these days.

I still haven’t found out what a traditional Easter dinner is here in Germany. I confirmed with my mother that we used to have ham, cabbage and carrots. I thought so, but wasn’t sure. I think traditional Easter dinner here varies from family to family, as well as the enthusiasm. If there aren’t small kids around to enjoy the visit from the Oster hase (Easter bunny), then it’s lower key, as it is back home. The Easter bunny did visit my house, if he knew what was good for him. Although he thought it was silly, he humored me. I can’t help it; I’ve always liked Easter and Easter bunnies and Easter decorations. I helped by pointing out something small that I liked and he went from there. Good bunny.

No comments: